Attention:

If you have time to read only one posting, click the following link to read the entry for the last day of our journey.


http://ontheroad6.blogspot.com/2013/10/day-59-th-trip-so-far-805-pm-saturday.html






Tuesday, July 16th...The Good News, The Bad News, and The Worst News

First, the good news.  Yesterday, immediately after I figured out that I did not win the Denali Road Lottery because my online application failed without my being told that it did, I placed ads that I had already prepared on Craigslist both in Anchorage and Fairbanks.  Sure enough, starting at about noon (8:00 Alaska time), Craigslist in both places started to light up like and blue and white Christmas tree with ads, split evenly between  winners trying to trade the dates they had been assigned for other dates and losers trying to buy a permit from a winner.  Technically, my ad did not fall  under the losers since I never really entered the lobby, but as far as I was concerned I was a loser and felt like that for the next four hours.  Then, at 5:30, a gentleman contacted me over Craigslist and offered to sell me a spare permit he won for Sunday, and after a series of e-mails, I purchased it at 11:00 p.m. So, the good news is that I now have a permit and the trip now has a focus, a goal, other than to drive to Alaska.

The bad news is that now I have to drive almost 6,000 miles to get there.

The worst news is that once I am there, I have to drive 6,000 miles to get back home.

No comments: